Email marketing can be tricky enough without us making the task even more complicated. With mobile email open rates increasing quickly, it can be a virtual death sentence for your small business should you overlook optimizing your marketing emails for small screens.
Mobile email opens are exploding!
Mobile email is now the most opened email, exceeding desktop with a robust 36 percent, according to Knotice.com. Combine that with the reality that email is the favored online communication mode of 74 percent of all adults, and you see why it’s so important. It’s not just phones either. Tablets are starting to take a major share also, as ReturnPath reports that iPhones make up 59 percent, iPads 26 percent, Androids 14 percent and Windows phones bringing up the rear at less than 1 percent.
Some tips for optimizing your marketing emails
So not to leave you without a plan for perfecting your marketing emails, here are some workable tips that can help ensure your marketing messages appear the way you want them to!
- Keep your messages short. People, particularly on mobile devices, have a short attention span. Make punchy, enticing subject lines and material that keeps your reader engaged.
- Keep image files small, as large files take considerably longer to load, you don’t want people leaving before they even get a chance to see what you’ve got!
- Try for a font size of at least 14. Something smaller may be automatically changed, and mess with the way you’ve laid out your formatting.
- Make your calls to action large enough for easy tapping. An average adult finger covers about 45 pixels, so bear that in mind.
- Make sure you test your marketing emails on the various mobile platforms prior to hitting the send button! This is well worth the couple of minutes it will take!
Optimizing your emails for mobile isn’t a thing you should get to when you can – it’s something you need to do today! You can be sure your competition is!