It must be nice to have an unlimited marketing budget, staff to go around, and lots of time to take on new and speculative marketing initiatives, but I think it’s safe to assume that most Tulsa small businesses aren’t floating in that boat. That means it is imperative to make certain we stay on our core marketing goals, and not be caught up in by every shiny new object that comes down the path, usually daily!
Whether it’s a new piece of software, a new type of marketing program, a new social media channel, it can trash your marketing efforts if you’re not careful.
Learning to say “No” to the “Bright Shiny Object” syndrome is a skill you must master. To help with that, we’ve put together some questions you’ll want to consider whenever you’re tempted to dive in.
5 Questions to ask about “the next big thing”
- Is it needed? – Is this something your business has needed, and the time has finally arrived, and does it truly serve your core marketing mission?
- How will this work both short and long term? – When we start to see return on this, and we will continue to see benefit long down the road? For instance, will that new social media channel even be here in a few years?
- Have you counted the opportunity cost? – What do you have to give up in order to implement this, and will these bring us closer to or further away from your marketing goals?
- Is there time, staff and know-how to make this work? – Will we really be able to do this with our current staff, and how large is the learning curve?
- Will this be viable year after year? – This is a particularly good question with regards to social media, where there is so much hands-on attention required. Is it a new trend or just a fad that will quickly fade?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you’ll possess a much better idea of whether or not to take the plunge! Don’t forget to hold your nose!
Click here to schedule a free marketing huddle! We’ll create a marketing plan together that’s unique to you and your business and guaranteed to be worth your time or we’ll give YOU $250!