Despite all the ominous predictions of the demise of email marketing, what the evidence shows is that it’s still a vital component of your online marketing, now and also for the foreseeable future. As per Sign-Up.to’s 2013 UK Email Marketing Benchmark Report, there has been a strong increase in average email open rates, rising from 18.35 percent to 21.47 percent in the last 12 months. Furthermore, the average return on your email marketing investment is now an impressive $44.25 for every dollar spent. (iContact)
So how do you to take advantage of this?
Here are 5 easy tips to get your email marketing efforts heading in the right direction!
- Create great subject lines – Headlines do matter, as your open rates will tank if you neglect this aspect. Take time to craft a subject line that makes people want to open your email. This is usually a combination of curiosity, excitement, urgency, beneficial and spam compliant.
- Write amazing content – After your subject line, nothing will get your emails opened and read more often than delivering jaw-dropping content. Content people can’t wait to open and read. I’m subscribed to several lists like this, where I open and read every word without delay. Endeavor to be one of those!
- Put in social media share buttons – easy to do, and also easy to forget to do, this is an excellent way to spread your emails around, especially those filled with your best content. Put these buttons in there and encourage your users to use them. You will often gain new opt-ins the easy way!
- Deliver mobile-friendly emails – Now that 64 percent of decision makers read their email on their mobile device,(TopRankBlog) and the average person checks their smartphone some 34 times a day, isn’t it time to make sure your emails are mobile friendly?
- Send email more often – This is one we often balk at. Nobody wants to keep pestering people who don’t want to read your messages. Sure, if you’re selling some shiny new object every email. Definitely make sure to keep sending terrific content that people simply can’t wait to read. Copyblogger reports that commonly your unsubscribes actually decrease if you mail more frequently.